Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Discipleship Today

Teresa of Avila said "Christ has no body now on earth but yours, no hands but yours and not feet but yours. Yours are the eyes through which Christ looks out with compassion on the world. Yours are the feet with which he is to go about doing good. Yours are the hands with which he is to bless people now"

As I reflect on the storm that hit Ohio two weeks ago and the subsequent power outage coupled with the current financial crisis that threatens our economy, I feel many are reeling and wondering what's next. What an opportunity for God's people as we stand in the presence of perfect love that cast out fear. The witness of the lived life in Christ provides hope that transcends the temperament of the day. Where can the voice of the Church be heard above the clamor of fear and despair? I encourage you in a time such as this to a deeper encounter with God through His written Word, prayer, and reflection that will take the pressure off worldly concerns and provide comfort through the assurance of a faithful God whose love abides with us throughout life's trials.

Philippians 4:11b-13 ...for I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me...v19 And my God will fully satisfy every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

...be the voice to share the Good News

No comments: